Recommended Topics for Support
Desktop and Start menu
* Change thumbnail size and file details Use the new Views menu to quickly go from details to large icons (1 mins, Short Topic)
Change the appearance of file and folder icons.
* Desktop Experience in Windows 7 (15 mins, Tour/Video)
Watch animations and demos to help you get the most out of the new user interface
* Navigate using the address bar A quick new way to move between folders (2 mins, Short Topic)
Use the Address bar to navigate around your computer and change the view to different folders.
Set the clock You can now change the time zone (1 mins, Short Topic)
Set the time and time zone of the Windows clock.
* The Start menu (overview) Know more about the start menu (7 mins, Article)
Navigate the start menu and learn it features
* The taskbar (overview) Know more about the taskbar (5 mins, Article)
Learn more about the taskbar and it's new functionality
* Using Jump Lists to open programs and items (0 mins, Tour/Video)
Learn how to use jump lists to open applications and items
What happened to the Run command? It's now even easier to use the Run command (1 mins, Short Topic)
The Run command is still available and can be added to the Start menu.
* What's new with the Start menu? (1 mins, Article)
Learn about the new and improved features on the Start menu.
* What's new with the Windows 7 taskbar? Learn what is new about the redesigned taskbar (4 mins, Article)
Desktop and Start menu
* What's new with the Windows desktop? A sneak peek at the new look of Windows (2 mins, Short Topic)
Learn about new features for accessing information, personalizing your computer, and switching between programs and documents.
* Working with Control Panel Find items in Control Panel with the Search box (1 mins, Short Topic)
Learn how to use the Control Panel to change settings in Windows.
* Working with the navigation pane Look at your files in a whole new way (2 mins, Short Topic)
Use the Navigation pane to quickly find and open folders on your computer.
Getting around the desktop (6 mins, Tour/Video)
Watch a video that shows you how to get the most out of the new taskbar, the start menu and gadgets. It also shows you some of the ways to manage
your open windows.
Personalizing your PC (5 mins, Tour/Video)
Watch a video that shows you how to change your account picutre, background, and your resolution. It also shows you how to make text more readable.
Desktop gadgets (overview) (5 mins, Short Topic)
Learn how to setup gadgets and manage them
Folders: frequently asked questions Find out what's new for exploring folders (2 mins, Reference Topic)
Get answers to common questions about how to use folders.
Taskbar: recommended links (3 mins, Article)
Hide, move, or resize the taskbar. You can also put shortcuts to your favorite programs on the taskbar.
Use your Windows password for your screen saver password Make your desktop more secure (1 mins, Short Topic)
Help make your computer more secure by using your Windows password as your screen saver password.
Create or delete a shortcut (1 mins, Short Topic)
Create shortcuts for easy access to programs and files that you access frequently. Delete shortcuts you no longer need.
Ease of Access (Accessibility)
Finding and organizing files
* Accessing Information in Windows 7 (15 mins, Tour/Video)
Watch animations and demos to help you learn how to quickly browse and organize information in Windows 7
* Find a file or folder Looking for files in all the right places (2 mins, Short Topic)
Use the Search box and other search tools to quickly find any file, folder, or program.
Create a shortcut to (map) a network drive Easily get to your network drives (1 mins, Short Topic)
Connect to a shared network folder and assign a drive letter to the connection for easy access from your computer.
Add tags and other properties to a file Tag your files to find them faster (2 mins, Short Topic)
Make it easier to find files by adding tags, which you can use to find and organize your files.
Improve Windows searches using the index: frequently asked questions (4 mins, Reference Topic)
Get answers to common questions about how you can get better performance from Windows Search when you look for files and folders.
Get the latest Help content Always view the latest Help (1 mins, Short Topic)
Ensure your search results use the latest help content from Microsoft.
* Getting help (3 mins, Article)
Learn how to get help with Windows and programs, get help from other people, find resources on the web, and contact technical support professionals.
* Change your Internet Explorer home page You can now have multiple home pages (2 mins, Short Topic)
Learn how to pick the webpage that is displayed when Internet Explorer opens.
* How to know if an online transaction is secure Click on the lock to get more information, and other tips (2 mins, Article)
Learn how to recognize when you have a secure connection with a website.
* Internet Explorer 8 Overview (2 mins, Tour/Video)
Get a quick primer on Internet Explorer 8
* Internet Explorer at a glance What's new in IE? Tabbed browsing and more (4 mins, Article)
Learn about the new features in Internet Explorer.
* Show the menus in Internet Explorer (1 mins, Short Topic)
Learn how to display the menu bar in Internet Explorer
* Tabbed browsing: frequently asked questions All about tabbed browsing: save a group of tabs, use keyboard shortcuts, and moreâ€¦ (2 mins, Reference Topic)
Find answers to common questions about opening multiple websites at once in Internet Explorer.
* Zoom in on a webpage Tired of squinting at webpages? (1 mins, Short Topic)
Enlarge webpages for better readability.
* Preview the appearance of a Printed webpage in Internet Explorer Web pages now scale to fit! (2 mins, Short Topic)
See what a webpage will look like before you print it.
Managing your Internet Explorer favorites Improvements to favorites (1 mins, Short Topic)
Learn how to organize your favorites into folders so they're easier to find and manage.
Find recently visited webpages History and favorites are now in one convenient place (1 mins, Short Topic)
Learn how to get back to webpages that you have visited recently.
Internet Explorer Pop-up Blocker: frequently asked questions Get rid of annoying pop-ups! (3 mins, Reference Topic)
Get answers to common questions about pop-ups and learn how to block them.
Should I install ActiveX controls? Make the right decisions for security (1 mins, Short Topic)
Learn how to decide when to allow ActiveX controls and add-ons to be installed in Internet Explorer.
Using RSS feeds Automatically get updated content published by a website, such as news (2 mins, Article)
Learn how to find, view, and subscribe to web feeds in Internet Explorer.
Customize the Internet Explorer toolbars (1 mins, Short Topic)
Learn how to reorganize and modify the toolbars in Internet Explorer.
Show or hide the Favorites bar in Internet Explorer Add a webpage you visit frequently to the toolbar (1 mins, Short Topic)
Decide whether to display a toolbar with your favorite links.
Internet Explorer Information bar: frequently asked questions (3 mins, Reference Topic)
Get answers to common questions about the messages displayed on Internet Explorer's Information bar.
Fill in website forms and passwords automatically (1 mins, Short Topic)
Learn how to make Internet Explorer remember the information that you enter into web forms so you don't have to enter it again later.
Security and privacy features in Internet Explorer Learn about features in Internet Explorer that can help protect your privacy and security when shopping or browsing online. (2 mins, Article)
PC maintenance and performance
* Back up your files Use the new Backup and Restore Center (1 mins, Short Topic)
Back up your personal files, such as pictures, music, and documents, for safekeeping.
* Previous versions of files: frequently asked questions A new way to restore files that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were damaged (4 mins, Training Course - Web-based (online only))
Find answers to questions about restoring previous versions of files from a backup or a restore point.
Back up and Restore: frequently asked questions (2 mins, Reference Topic)
Find answers to questions about backing up files, setting up automatic backups, and restoring files.
Exit a program that isn't responding (1 mins, Short Topic)
If a program stops responding, you can use Task Manager to close the program.
Why won't Windows allow me to change a system setting? (1 mins, Short Topic)
Learn how administrators can use Group Policy to prevent users from changing system settings.
What are error codes and how can I use them? (2 mins, Short Topic)
Learn about error codes and use them to find more information about problems.
Print to the Microsoft XPS Document Writer A next-generation publishing tool (2 mins, Article)
Save a copy of a document as an .xps file (XPS document) so you can send, share, or view it on any computer.
Security and privacy
* Recognizing dangerous file types (1 mins, Short Topic)
Learn how to recognize some of the types of files that can contain malicious software.
* Tips for creating strong passwords and passphrases Make your password more secure (2 mins, Short Topic)
Learn how to create a strong password.
* When to trust a website How to make sure a website is safe (2 mins, Short Topic)
Find out how to decide whether to download software or do business with a website.
When to trust an e-mail message (2 mins, Article)
Helps you recognize malicious e-mail attachments and links.
Spyware: frequently asked questions All about spyware (2 mins, Reference Topic)
Learn what spyware is, how it can affect your computer, and how to prevent and remove it.
Turn Windows Defender real-time protection on or off Get rid of spyware (1 mins, Short Topic)
Choose which areas of your computer you want Windows Defender to monitor for spyware and other potentially unwanted software.
Help protect your files using BitLocker Drive Encryption (2 mins, Short Topic)
Use BitLocker Drive Encryption to help protect files on your system volume.
What is Encrypting File System (EFS)? (1 mins, Short Topic)
Learn about how EFS can protect your information
What information is sent to Microsoft when I report a problem? (1 mins, Short Topic)
Learn about the types of information that Windows uses to check for solutions to problems on your computer.
* Understanding offline files Keep working with files even when you're not connected (2 mins, Article)
You can access files stored in a network folder even when that network folder is unavailable, by making the folder available offline.
Turning off and starting up the computer
* Turn off a computer: frequently asked questions (3 mins, Reference Topic)
Learn where Shut Down and Restart options are located, how to wake your computer and prevent it from going to sleep or turning itself off, and more.
* Turning off your computer properly New recommendations for turning off your computer (2 mins, Article)
Learn how to use the Power button on the Start menu to turn off your computer or put it to sleep.
Switch users without logging off Do you share a computer? (1 mins, Short Topic)
Learn how to switch computer users without closing files or programs.
Raise Awareness > Week Before
Desktop and Start menu
* Better, stronger, faster: The Windows 7 taskbar Get more out of the taskbar (8 mins, Article)
Use the taskbar for more then just accessing applications
Customize the Start menu Keep frequently-used programs handy (1 mins, Short Topic)
Organize the Start menu to make it easier to find your favorite programs and folders.
* Customize the Start menu (4 mins, Reference Topic)
Make the start menu fit the way you work
Getting the best display on your monitor (2 mins, Article)
Adjust your display settings or restore the default settings if they were changed.
* Introducing WindowsÂ 7 at work (20 mins, Tour/Video)
You can learn how Windows 7 can help you be more productive at work with the new desktop features and helping you manage your programs and files
* Pin a program to the Start menu (2 mins, Tour/Video)
Customize the start menu to get easy access to the applications you use the most
* Pin a program to the taskbar (2 mins, Tour/Video)
Get easy access to your favorite applications by putting them permanently on the taskbar
* Rearrange buttons on the taskbar Put buttons where you want (2 mins, Short Topic)
Change the order in which application appear on the start menu
* What's new with the Windows 7 desktop? (2 mins, Short Topic)
Learn about Aero Snap and changes to how you can position gadgets
Clear lists on the Start menu and taskbar Clear the history of the items in the start menu and jump lists (2 mins, Tour/Video)
Remove the history that the start menu and taskbar keep about which programs, folders, files, and websites you open
Change how icons appear in the notification area of the taskbar Customize what notifications you get (3 mins, Short Topic)
Take control over what icons appear in the notification area
Take a screen capture (Printing screen) (1 mins, Short Topic)
You can capture a picture of what is on your screen, and then paste it into a document, e-mail message, or other file.
Show, hide, or resize desktop icons (1 mins, Short Topic)
Show or hide the icons on the desktop, depending on whether you prefer quick access to shortcuts or a clean workspace.
Recover files from the Recycle Bin (1 mins, Short Topic)
Find and restore files that you previously moved to the Recycle Bin.
The New Windows Taskbar: frequently asked questions (5 mins, Reference Topic)
Get answers to common questions about the Takbar
Ease of Access (Accessibility)
Keyboard shortcuts (3 mins, Short Topic)
View a list of keyboard shortcuts for using Windows.
Create keyboard shortcuts to open programs (2 mins, Short Topic)
Use keyboard shortcuts to open programs quickly.
Finding and organizing files
* Save a search Do you need to find the same groups of files repeatedly? (1 mins, Short Topic)
When you find files by using a search or filtering a folder view, save that search to make it easy to find similar files again later.
* Working with libraries (3 mins, Article)
Learn how to manage your files better with libraries
Finding your files (5 mins, Tour/Video)
Watch a video that shows you how to better manage and find your content using Windows Search and Libraries
Searching in Windows: frequently asked questions (4 mins, Reference Topic)
Find answers to common questions about Windows Search
Libraries: frequently asked questions (5 mins, Short Topic)
Find answers to common questions about libraries
* Tips for searching the Internet New and more efficient ways to find what you're looking for (3 mins, Article)
Learn how to find the information you want on the Internet by writing clear and effective searches.
* Using Quick Tabs in Internet Explorer See a miniature view of all your open tabs (1 mins, Short Topic)
Display all of your open webpages as thumbnails and learn how to move between them.
Internet Explorer keyboard shortcuts (4 mins, Article)
Learn how to use the keyboard (instead of the mouse) to do things in Internet Explorer.
Open a new tab to your home page in Internet Explorer (1 mins, Tour/Video)
How to open a new tab in Internet Explorer 8
Using Accelerators to find addresses, define words, and do other tasks with selected text Use accelerators to take text from one page and perform tasks on it. (7 mins, Guided Example)
Step by step instructions on how to use and get accelerators for Internet Explorer 8
Web Slices: frequently asked questions (5 mins, Reference Topic)
Find answers to common questions about web slices
Internet Explorer add-ons: frequently asked questions (2 mins, Reference Topic)
Get answers to common questions about add-ons and ActiveX controls.
Internet Explorer: frequently asked questions (7 mins, Reference Topic)
Get answers to common questions about Internet Explorer
What happened to Phishing Filter? (1 mins, Article)
Discover what replaced the Phishing Filter
Save a webpage as a file (1 mins, Short Topic)
Learn how to save a webpage to a file on your computer.
PC maintenance and performance
Delete files using Disk Cleanup (1 mins, Short Topic)
Use Disk Cleanup to delete files you no longer need and reclaim storage space on your computer.
Stop a program from running automatically when Windows starts (1 mins, Short Topic)
Prevent programs from running automatically when you start your computer.
Ways to improve your computer's performance (2 mins, Article)
Learn about tools you can use to help improve performance.
Backing up and restoring your computer (5 mins, Tour/Video)
Watch a video to see how easy it is to backup and restore your files.
See details about your computer's performance using Task Manager (2 mins, Short Topic)
View information about your computer's performance and memory usage.
Solving common problems with Troubleshooters (5 mins, Tour/Video)
Watch a video to learn about bulit in troubleshooters can help you find and fix common problems.
Change the program that opens a type of file (1 mins, Short Topic)
Choose which program you want to use to open a specific type of file.
Get computer speed and performance information (1 mins, Short Topic)
View performance information about your computer.
Recover lost or deleted files (1 mins, Short Topic)
Use Search or browse common folders to find a file that you're having difficulty locating.
What happened to the Printers folder? (1 mins, Short Topic)
Learn what replaced the Printers folder
Turning off and starting up the computer
* Sleep and hibernation: frequently asked questions (3 mins, Reference Topic)
Find answers to common questions about sleep and hibernation